Saturday 22 March 2014

Two Days in Helsinki

 We loved Helsinki from the moment we arrived as the whole city was thickly covered in fresh snowfall. We had booked an apartment through Air bandb in theVallila district of Helsinki and despite getting locked out of the apartment five minutes after arriving we survived and had a fantastic Saturday night and Sunday in the city. We visited the Tove Jansson exhibition at the Atneum National Gallery to mark the 100th anniversary of her birth. This was one of the most amazing exhibitions I have seen in recent times and covered all periods of her work from her surrealistic pantings in the 1930s, to modernist art of the 1950's, her satirical anti-war illustrations as well as the Moomins! The dressing up section was amazing and my two daughters loved this as you will see....
I have recently reread her adult books, A Winter Book as well as the Sculptor's Daughter, so this exhibition was a real treat and one I will definitely return to when I am here in Finland. 
We spent the rest of the afternoon ice-skating in the Jaapuisto Ice Park opposite the Atheum and drinking hot chocolate in the café next door. 
A lovely Helsinki weekend x




































4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous pics! I love Tove Jansson's books - have you read The Summer Book too? It's one of my favourites. Enjoy your Finnish adventures! xx jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO but I intend to catch up on her back catalogue. It was actually Pammy that bought me the winter book. We're off to Tampere this weekend and will hopefully visit the Moomin Museum xx

      Delete
  2. Looks like you're enjoying yourselves so far. Keep up the posts, good to see what you're up to. xx

    ReplyDelete